Saturday 2 December 2006

Out of My Head

I rode my bike around the Yarra. Swift. Sleek. Skimming the corners. Flying. It's the thing that keeps me sane. Wind in my hair, the burning in my calves.

Cool wind on my face and on my chest.

Faster than the wind. Just staying in front.

I ride for an hour. I try not to stop, except for little children and traffic lights just at the very end.

That last hill is a killer. I try to take it in one stride.

I love that feeling at the end, once I've dismounted onto my unsteady feet. Gasping for breath. But in a healthy, cleaned out the arteries, kind of way.


I went out drinking with Sebastian and Cam. Sam was there. We just kind of came face to face. Noisy bar, could hardly hear each other speak.

"How are you? How are you?" we said at exactly the same time.

"You look good. You look good." Awkward freeze. "Nice to see you Blake. But, I've got to go. I'm meeting someone." He smiled. He looked confident, handsome.

"Me to", I said. I hadn't seen him how long? Not out. Not dressed up. All our wayward nights at uni, together, flashed through my head, seeing him standing there looking gorgeous. He was the last person I had expected to see.

He did look good.

Then he was gone.


I went riding to get him out of my head.

Do you think you can ride away from your, well, not exactly, troubles? I think you can. You know keep peddling, and don’t stop, until all of your focus is on your burning legs and you mind just resets itself naturally.


No comments:

Post a Comment