Thursday 20 May 2010

Walking Home

When I walk home in the winter evening at dusk, looking down watching one foot step and then the other, one step after the other, step, step, step, I never feel quite so alone.


“Hey mate, what are you doing?”

“I’m watching my feet.”

“Why are you watching your feet, mate?”

“So, I don’t feel quite so along.”

“Shouldn’t you be watching the way you are walking home?”

“Oh, I’m part bat,” I say. “So that is okay.”

“Part bat, you say?”

“Yes, that is why I can watch my feet this way?”

“That is why you can watch your feet this way?”

“Yes, I can see my feet and then I’m not walking alone.”

“You can see your feet so you aren’t walking alone?”

“And my bat senses guide me home.”

“Your bat senses guide you home?

“And all the way, I never feel alone.”

“Because you look down and watch your feet?”

“Yes, if I didn’t look down, I might just feel the defeat.”

“Watching your feet, you never feel alone?”

“That’s right, as I make the long walk home.”


No comments:

Post a Comment