Thursday 23 February 2006

Back On The Horse

“I decided I'm sick of sleeping tablets, after being upgraded from Temazapan, which just wasn't doing anything anymore, to a whole Valium, whilst I was in hospital,” says Andre Arno

“The accident?” says Jackson Jones.

“Yes,” says Andre. “Because of the accident.”

“Recovery is a bitch,” says Jackson.

“The thing with Valium is, is that it has a half-life of 22 – it takes that long for you to get half of it out of your system,” says Andre.

“So, you feel groggy?” asks Jackson.

Over 24 hours it's actually cumulative, and yesterday I just felt kind of slow, drugged, all day.”

“So, no Valium last night,” says Jackson Jones.

“My god, I was awake until 6am,” says Andre.

“Sleep deprivation is a bitch,” says Jackson. “That so leads to errors in judgement.”

“It was kind of okay in a way, with my mind floating around generally happy thoughts, and also thinking about RMIT work that I STILL have to do. Not long now.”

“How’s that going?” asks Jackson.

“I even got up and reviewed what I had done so far, and made some notes for the report. Considering my goal had been to get back to it by January 31, before the accident, it wasn't a waste of a night.”

“The things you can get done when you can’t sleep,” says Jackson.

“But my god, sooooo sleepy today. I got up at 11, fell unconscious on my couch at 1.30, woke up to some stupid TV show, and I'm still fucked,” says Andre.

“What are you going to do tonight?” asks Jackson. “Sleepwise?”

“Tonight, I'm taking HALF the valium and a herbal sleeper that Mum gave me – she doesn't want to share her Serapax with me,” says Andre.

“And how’s the latest project going?” asks Jackson.

“I was supposed to go up the country again this weekend but I'm not. I should have got organised and gone Sunday – gotta use that car that I bought after all,” says Andre.

“Oh yeah that car has been sitting for long enough,” says Jackson.

“Yes, yes it has,” says Andre.

“Gotta get back on the horse, as they say,” says Jackson.

“I'm also going to the Good Guys and get myself some new AV equipment. I couldn't even watch a DVD last night,” says Andre.

“It’s good to go back to work,” says Jackson.

“So, a DVD recorder/VCR combo ($450 at the moment!) and MAYBE a new TV now that the footy season is coming up,” says Andrea.

“Well, if Scott, or Rolly, or I can help you with your project, just ask, you know that?” says Jackson. “You okay for equipment after the accident?”

“I can't live with a fucked TV, despite my protests about never having time to watch the damn thing,” says Andre.

“So, what are you going to do?” says Jackson.

“I did see a lovely wide screen flat CRT for less than a grand that I think I would really like,” says Andre.

“Is that good enough for what you want to do?” asks Jackson.

“Fuck LCD and Plasma – who wants to pay 3 grand for an idiot box?!” says Jackson.

“Well, if you need me, or the boys help, just ask,” says Jackson.

“Thanks,” says Andre. “What would I do without you guys?”

“What’s the latest one?” says Jackson.

“Hand To Mouth, about homelessness,” says Andre.

“Hitting the heartstrings,” says Jackson. “Good thinking.”

“I prefer to think of it as social interest, myself,” says Andre. “Do you know how much homelessness there is in this rich country?”


No comments:

Post a Comment